Thursday, April 30, 2009

What must I have been thinking?!?!

In light of all the events that has happened in my life here lately, I decided that I was going to do more with my kids (as if we didnt do enough), more family stuff, more outings, giving them memories to share with their children when I'm dead and gone (like going to the movies with my Dad to see Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and my Dad fell asleep in the middle of the movie and started snoring.. LOUDLY). You know THOSE kinds of memories. Anyway, Sunday Mark and I decided (ok mostly me, and Mark went along with it) to take the kids bowling. Neither had ever been only played Polar Bowler on the computer (both are rather good at it too by the way). But I thought it would be a fun experience for them. (maybe I should have thought AGAIN!)

Anyway, Nathaniel as most of you already know has some temperment issues that we are dealing with and well he's fighting it all the way. I should have known this was going to be a "fun" trip when I pulled into Shoney's for lunch and Nate didnt want Shoney's he wanted McD's and said he was only going to have a drink and snubbed up. We had a short discussion and he went inside all sulled up and mad. Mark took him to get his dinner off the bar because suddenly Mommy was this evil person he wanted nothing to do with. He settled down a bit during lunch so I thought to myself, he's calm now so bowling should be ok. So to the bowling alley we go!

We get there and Nate announces to the gentleman at the counter that he's going to go bowling! (like the man didnt already know that). Anyway, I rent their shoes and a lane with bumpers (first time dont' want to be filled with gutterballs) and I pay for 2 games for each of them. Thinking 2 is a nice number, one to warm up with and one to play. WRONG! We make our way to lane 1 and they put on their shoes while I set up the electronic scorecard (probably not the techincal term for it but its my term) Kirsten goes first, its curving all over the place so Mark starts showing her how to hold the ball and throw and all that good stuff (I got pics, I'll post of FB) Nate well, that "small" ball is a bit much for him so instead of holding it and taking his hand back to throw the ball like he's supposed to, he picks it up and brings it to his chest and lunges the ball toward the pins. Was a hilarious sight, I was laughing to hard to snap a pic. Mark tried to show him how to do it as well but stubborn Nate wanted nothing of instructions, he just wanted to play and he did GREAT, he got 2 spares and was bouncing around! He won the first game 85 to 70 Not bad for beginners right? Well he wanted nothing of the 2nd game because he wanted to go the arcade and play but I convinced him to play the second round (I should have stopped while I was ahead) during the second game around the 5th frame, Kirsten got a spare and she was all bouncing and rubbing it in (Nate had gotten several gutterballs because he stopped trying) this ticked him off so as she was coming down the steps to the chairs to await her next turn, Nate shoved her and she fell backwards on the stairs. Without thinking, I grabbed Nathaniel and spanked his behind right there in front of God and everybody. (In this day and time, I'm proabably lucky noone called the cops for child abuse.) He wanted to go play and since I'm nice and ticked off now too, I told him to finish this game I had paid for and we were going home, no Baskin Robbins for him today either. He begged, I'll be good and if I'm good cause we still play the arcade? I said, "we'll see". He did better after that and scored a couple spares but Kirsten's streak of several spares in a row took her score over the top so she beat him by like 21 points.

After bowling, I did let them play in the arcade but the rules was that you spent only $5. Didnt take long as it seemed most of the machines took your money instead of lettting you play. It gave tickets and the prices were less to be desired. Nothing like the local fun centers and such, but the kids had fun. Nate picked his prize first then took off where he was supposed to go stand by Mark while Kirsten picked her prize. Unbeknowst to me, Nate is playing more games and winning more tickets and because he disobeyed me, I didnt allow him to turn in the tickets. Well this set him off and we left the bowling alley with Nate throwing a temper tantrum like a 3 year old. At this point I'm beyond ticked at the behavior of my son IN PUBLIC of all places. I walk away and in fear of being left behind I guess, Nate followed.

Needless to say when we got in the car, I informed Nate he was grounded for the next week, not to ask me to go anywhere or to go play at any friends house because it wasnt happening! and then I said nothing else... to anymore..... I was more humiliated than anything, and disappointed that I can't take my children out for a fun day because my sons temperment gets the best of him when he doesnt win or things don't go his way. Thing is, I thought he was getting better with this, he doesnt get all ticked off anymore when they lose a baseball game (which doesnt happen often but does happen). I dont know its going to take but I feel as if I'm punishing Kirsten by not doing "family" things because she's good, she doesn't throw these fits and she SHOULD be rewarded but how do I reward one without further ticking off the other? SIGH!!! If you read this I could really use some advise, I'm at my wits end.

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly how you feel. I REALLY do.

    I do reward my other two and have finally had to do so and show my hard-headed son that there are consequences for his actions. It tends to split me and my husband up as one has to sit home with him when the others get rewarded.

    Then again? There are fun things I can do with the girls like shopping that my son doesn't enjoy. Yet, he realizes they are being given a treat and he's not. Make sense?

    Stick to your guns, girl! Iknow it's hard, but I keep getting told that if I stay firm, it'll pay off in the end.

    ReplyDelete