Mark and I got engaged back in February after spending the past 5 years TALKING about getting married but never eally doing anything about it. I can't tell you the numerous times my Daddy would ask me if Mark and I was ever gonna get married and I'd assure him that someday we would and each time he'd tell me that he was glad I had Mark (because he was a good guy!) and he made me promise not to elope, to let him walk me down the aisle, and each time I'd promise a wedding just for him. As most of you know (and if you don't you've obviously been under a rock) my Daddy passed away on March 16, 2009..... less than a month after my official engagment. At first I thought, to heck with it, I'm not getting married. But after Nathaniel telling Mark a few weeks ago, "I just want you to know that your my Dad now". Mark tried to explain that Nate has a Dad to which Nate replied, I know that but he's not here, so you're my Dad. This being said, the kids and I need that stability. Mark and I aren't splitting up any time soon (that I know of) and well why not take that next step but when? Well my goodness that's where is gets all complicated!
Since my Daddy can no longer walk me down the aisle, I dont want a wedding. Some of you may think I've lost my mind or I simply need to ask my brother to do it and carry a picture of my Daddy, while that is a good idea, to me its not the same. I planned to have a wedding because my Daddy wanted to walk me, not because I wanted to walk with his memory. Therefore, I decided to have a small private ceremony with just our children, my mother and his parents. Then have a HUGE party to celebrate, complete with a dj! Great idea right! When? well considering Mark never forgets the day we met, and this year it falls on a Friday, why not? July 3! Most people are off for the holiday PERFECT!
WRONG! Most everyone is on board with the idea but then my twin brother and his girlfriend have made plans to go camping that week and then after speaking with Mark's mom, she informs me that his sister's baby is due on July 4 (I thought it was August) and that his Dad didnt have a weekend off till August but asked that I hold off and do it on August 9 when his sister should be recovered from the baby and their anniversary is on that day. Yup, that's it wait till August.....
Mark doesnt care what day we set if for just as long as we do it. The kids dont really care either they just want cake. I'm kinda partial to July 3 and I've convinced my best friend to get married with me on the same day. Its not really fair to ask her to wait. What to do? What to do? At this point, I'm considering going ahead and getting married on July 3 and waiting to have my reception/party in August..... Stay tuned .....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

It's YOUR party, girlfriend. That's a special date for you and Mark so go for it. You won't ever be able to please everyone no matter how hard you try. People can work with it...if they want to. I vote July 3rd!!!!!
ReplyDelete