Today has been an interesting day to say the least. I was awakened this morning around 5 a.m. not by the sound of an incoming Instant Message but to the sound of a crying child. Nathaniel was standing beside my bed with his hand over his right ear crying uncontrolable. I gathered my wits while trying to console him and gave him some tylenol and since his ear appeared to be draining (which seemed rather odd to me) I put some cotton in it and promised I'd call the doctor as soon as they opened.
By 7 a.m. thankfully the crying had ceased and he was resting peacefully on the couch. I dressed and called the doctor as they opened. They could see him at 1:30 this afternoon. I just had to keep him from hurting till this afternoon, I can do that.... Thankfully he slept all morning and I had to wake him up in time for a bath so we could go to the doctor.
Keeping in mind that my son has issues with anger and patience is not a virtue for him (another matter we will be dealing with on the 22nd of this month); he became visibly upset to the extent that he was pulling his hair while we waited, his outburst obviously caused him pain because he again started crying, saying his ear was hurting worse now than it had previously. I'm trying to console him but nothing seems to be working, I seem to be upsetting him more and more with each question I ask (trying to get his mind of the pain). Then it occurs to me, "What wrestler action figures do you not have that you'd like to have?" He started naming off the ones he had and talking bout them each one by one and what they do, then mentioned the ones he'd like to have and why and who he'd wrestle them against. etc. Granted, I'm clueless in this conversation WWE is his and Mark's thing not mine (if I had my way, he'd not watch it), but it worked the crying stopped, he forgot about where we was and why we was there. Finally Dr. Soloman came into the room and checked my little guy out
Turns out, Nathaniel not only has an ear infection, the membrane that protects the eardrum had ruptured and that's why his ear is draining. So we leave the doctor with a prescription waiting at our local KMart Pharmacy for oral antibiotics he gets to take for 7 days, samples of antibotic ear drops that has to be used for 7 days... twice a day for both and a recheck in 10 days to make sure no damage to the ear drum itself. Sigh....
Once out in the car and on our way home out of the blue Nathaniel say to me, You know what Mom you're pretty smart. I replied, "Why do you say that son?" He says, "Well, how did you know that asking me about my wrestlers would make my ear quit hurting?" I told him I just thought it would take his mind off of it. He said, well it worked you're a good Mom did you know that.. My heart smiled. I turned and told him thank you, he' was a pretty good kid too. It's comments like that that making losing sleep and sometimes thinking I'm losing your mind that make parenthood all worth while.
God Bless you all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment