Thursday, February 11, 2010

Day 68... does it get easier?

Well, where to start? Most of you already know that My wonderful husband was officially deployed effective December 5, 2009.... 400 days.... I dreaded the day but it really hadn't been all that bad until today. When he left in December, he was to do 2 months training so I was able to talk to him several times a day and I knew I'd get to see him. When he left on that bus the first time he was gone for 3 weeks, but then came home for 5 days for Christmas (YEAH!) then I was saddened to see him leave again but was comforted by the thought that I'd get to see him again at the end of Jan/beginning of Feb. for a 4 day pass prior to actually shipping out. Well last week I traveled to MS (through the snow and for those that know me, I hate driving in the snow and refuse to unless I have to... but for my husband, I'd do anything). Took almost 8 hours to drive from our house to MS to pick up my beloved husband and then off to New Orleans, LA for a 3 days of fun filled quality time. There were a few rough moments (traveling with 2 kids, your husband and your in-laws, they are bound to occur) but overall a wonderful time.

We made it back to post on Thursday in time for the Farewell Ceremony which was to be held on Friday at precisely 9 a.m.,.. HA! Rain and other delays the ceremony FINALLY started at NOON! Yes, I said NOON! I was cold from sitting on them bleachers for 6 hours but I was so proud of my husband and his fellow soldiers for their service. After the ceremony, instead of keeping him, Uncle Sam let him come back to the hotel with me for another night. Again, I was on cloud 9... I had one more day!

On Saturday, the day I was supposed to come home, I learned that again, my wonderful husband was going to be released to spend time with family if they were still in the area. Of course I'll stay!!! I located another hotel and again,... had 'one more day'.

Sunday morning, I reluantly took my wonderful husband back to post and we said our farewells. I did a really good job of not letting him (or the kids) see my cry. I held back my tears till I was on the way back home, and cry I did and have so many times since then I am not ashamed to admit.

I LOVE MY HUSBAND and I MISS HIM SO MUCH. I'm human and I have finally found a man that I don't want to live without. He's been such a blessing to me and to my children and he feels the same way about us too.

And before you say it (cause I know you're thinking it)... This isn't our first deployment. I KNOW THIS, but this time is different. His last deployment we had been together a bit over a year, he was still living on post and I was here 3 hours away. We spoke every day but really only got to see each other 1 or 2 weekends a month and several weeks in the summer (kinda like your typical parenting plan, eh? LOL) so while I missed him and I worried about him, My life didn't really change. This time, my entire world has been turned upside down. We've spent every day together for the past 4 years (aside from summer training camps) and now I have to wait 8-9 months before I see him again.

Some would say (and you know who you are) enjoy this time, play a little.... NO THANKS, I'll wait, I married a military man and deployments come with it and quite frankly, I KNOW HE'S WORTH WAITING FOR. Over the next year, he'll miss our 1st Wedding Anniversary, I'll miss his birthday, he'll miss mine, Kirsten and Nate's, He'll miss baseball season and recitals, wax museums and field trips and we'll miss him being there too. I know he'll be there in spirit as I know he doesnt want to miss any of these things but his job requires him to. Besides, once he gets home, we'll have forever to spend making additional memories and long forgotten will be the holidays spent apart.


This afternoon, my wonderful husband boarded a plane and is on his way to Iraq. My heart is absolutely breaking. No more talking several times a day, no more numerous text messages, now its phone calls when he can and days spent hoping he's ok, avoiding the news and anticipating phone calls, emails and IMs that normally aren't long enough. Counting down the days till Uncle Sam is finished with him and he can come home to us, while Praying to God to watch over him, be with him, keep him safe, and to come home to me.

If you're reading this, please keep my husband in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment